Linkfield Road, Isleworth

Raybell Court was built in 1976 on the site of Rayment’s Almshouses and Bell’s Almshouses. Bell’s Almshouses were built in 1822 as the Infirmary of the Parish Workhouse. The Infirmary was sold in 1839 when the new Union Workhouse was built and purchased by Isleworth Charity Trustees to house six unmarried or widowed women. A separate building on the same site provided housing for two married couples. These buildings replaced an earlier almshouse founded by the Misses Bell in 1739.

Rayment’s Almshouses were endowed by Samuel Rayment, who rose from baker’s boy to become manager of the Isleworth Flour Mill. Rayment’s Almshouses were built adjacent to Bell’s Almshouses in 1936 to provide housing for two married couples of not less than 60 years of age.

In 1976, both Rayment’s and Bell’s Almshouses were demolished and replaced by Raybell Court, a complex of 26 one-bedroom flats on two floors. In selecting residents for accommodation, preference is given to women for five of the almshouses, to married couples for two of the almshouses, and to married couples of not less than 60 years of age for two more of the almshouses.

The scheme underwent some refurbishment in 2019.

Raybell CourtRaybell CourtRaybell Court

Back to Housing